If you have been injured or financially impacted by something that wasn’t your fault, then you should consider speaking to a talented civil litigation attorney. Enlisting experienced legal representation will increase the chances of you securing a positive outcome. They’ll ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. Without an experienced attorney, you may miss out on your chance at justice.
The Tulsa, OK civil litigation lawyers at Palmer Law Firm are here to help you. Our team has many years of experience in assisting clients who have been wronged, and they are passionate and dedicate themselves to helping their clients. We offer a free initial consultation to any potential client, where we will assess your case, file relevant legal claims, and implement a strong legal strategy aimed at securing a positive outcome.
To schedule a free consultation with one of our preeminent lawyers, call us today at 405-877-7112.
Types of Tulsa Civil Litigation
Our team at Palmer Law has experience in helping individuals and business owners seek remedies in many types of civil cases. Some of the most common legal issues that we deal with include the following:
- Personal injury.
- Product liability.
- Laws that involve landlords and tenants.
- Business law.
- Employment issues.
- Child custody and other family law disputes.
- Medical malpractice.
- Wrongful death.
- And many more.
We offer a free consultation to any potential clients, where we will discuss your case with you in-depth and give you some important legal advice that’s specific to your case.
An Overview of Litigation in Tulsa, OK
If you have no legal expertise, then civil litigation can be very confusing and overwhelming. This is why you need the help of highly-rated attorneys throughout the process.
Our team of lawyers in Tulsa, OK will be able to help you, no matter what situation you’re in. We have plenty of experience helping plaintiffs and respondents in many different cases, so no matter what side of the legal dispute you find yourself on, we’ll be able to help you and prioritize your case.
Beginning Your Lawsuit
To begin a lawsuit, you must file a Petition. Your attorney will be able to tell you exactly how to do this. When you do file a lawsuit, you will be referred to as an applicant or plaintiff, and the party/parties being served will be called the respondent.
In the Petition, the plaintiff’s claims against the respondent are explained. The Petition will be served alongside the Summons, which is another important legal document.
The Summons provides notice to the respondent, instructing them to provide an Answer within 20 days. If the respondent wants or needs to extend the 20 days, they will need to file an Entry of Appearance. This Entry of Appearance will identify their lawyer.
You can serve these official documents in many ways, such as by certified mail or through a private process server.
The Answer and Defenses
In the Answer, the respondent will either admit or deny the claims, or claim there is insufficient evidence. If the respondent does not file an Answer within the deadline, then the court will consider them to have admitted guilt to the claims in the Petition.
The respondent is also expected to raise Affirmative Defenses and other matters in their Answer. If not stated in the Answer, then these other matters will be waived.
Before filing an Answer, the respondent may decide to file a motion to dismiss. An effective motion to dismiss will raise defenses that automatically result in the end of the lawsuit.
Because of the importance of the deadlines and the response of the respondent, it’s crucial that you have effective and aggressive representation on your side.
Counterclaims are used if the respondent wants to make any of their own claims regarding the same event. To do this, they will need to include them in their Answer to the existing case.
All plaintiffs and respondents have the legal right to acquire information regarding the case. This process is called discovery and often occurs when the answer has already been filed.
The methods used in the discovery process can include the following:
- Requests for production – This is where you request specific documents.
- Subpoenas – These are used to acquire useful materials or information from third parties to the lawsuit.
- Oral depositions – People can be required to go to court to answer questions under oath.
- Requests for admissions – The recipient will be asked to either admit or deny some facts.
- Written interrogatories – These are written questions that are answered in writing and signed under oath.
While discovery can be expensive and time-consuming, it can be crucial to legal disputes, as it can help you and your attorney better understand the case.
Trial Dates and Motions
The next step is for one party to file a motion to enter. This document is a request to the court to set a trial schedule for the case. When the date is chosen, the court will enter a scheduling order. This sets deadlines for information and documents to be completed, such as the discovery process.
Before the trial, both parties may be required to attend court hearings. The attorneys involved will also meet the judge so they can inform the judge about the remaining issues.
Securing a Settlement
Most civil lawsuits don’t end up in court, as instead they are often settled during the litigation process. In order to agree on a settlement, parties will attend mediation sessions. It is only after these are unsuccessful that you will have to go to trial.
How Are Tulsa Civil Litigation Cases Settled?
Many cases don’t actually need to proceed to trial. Instead, they can be handled outside of court with the help of an attorney with extensive experience, like those at Palmer Law. To avoid going to court, your lawyer will negotiate and mediate on your behalf until both parties can agree on a fair settlement. However, if an agreement cannot be made, then you may have to go to court.
If this happens to you, then your trial lawyer will thoroughly investigate your case. They will gather as much evidence as possible so they can build a strong case on your behalf. This evidence could consist of witness statements, medical records, police reports, and more. Your lawyer will then present evidence to support their claims in the courtroom and argue their side. After the entire trial, a judge or jury will decide the outcome. There will always be a small chance that you don’t secure the outcome you need. However, if this does happen, you will have the option to appeal the decision to a higher court.
Benefits of Hiring a Tulsa Civil Litigation Attorney
While you technically don’t need to hire a lawyer to help you with your civil litigation, it is strongly advised that you do. If you don’t have the necessary skill or experience, then it is unfortunately very likely that you would lose your case without an attorney.
Our civil litigation attorneys in Tulsa are equipped with impressive skills and experience in handling civil claims.
Listed below are the four biggest benefits to hiring legal counsel:
- Knowledge of the law – Lawyers go through years of law school and must pass an exam before becoming an attorney. Throughout their career, lawyers will continue to study and improve their skills. As the law is always changing and complex, attorneys must stay updated on the legal system and familiar with the laws that are relevant to your case.
- Experience valuing claims – It’s important to know how much a client deserves in compensation, but every individual case is different and various factors come into play. A civil litigation attorney will be able to speak to you and give you an estimation on how much money you deserve and help you fight to secure that compensation. Without professional advice, you may leave negotiations with a much smaller settlement than you’re entitled to.
- Leveling the playing field – If you’re up against an employer, large business, or anyone else, it’s almost guaranteed that they will have a strong and large team of attorneys on their side. These attorneys will be working hard to ensure their clients keep as much of their money as possible by paying you very little, if anything at all. Because of this, it’s important that you also enlist the help of talented attorneys, like the ones at Palmer Law. With their help, you’ll be leveling the playing field.
- Advocacy – When you hire an attorney, their law office must represent you and argue to protect your civil rights. They will represent you via phone and video calls, in meetings, and in the courtroom. You’ll always be able to rely on their support.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Tulsa Civil Litigation Attorney?
If you’re a plaintiff in a civil litigation case, then most Oklahoma attorneys will work for you on a contingency basis. A contingency basis means that the lawyer will represent you without charging you beforehand. Once the case is settled, your attorney will then retain a previously agreed percentage from your settlement to cover their fees. The rest of the money will be given to you.
For more information about Palmer Law’s fees, call 405-496-1154 today and speak with a member of our team.
When Should I Call a Tulsa Civil Litigation Attorney?
If you are in the middle of a legal dispute, then you will need legal help. Without the assistance of an attorney, you may find yourself overwhelmed by the complex legal system.
Your civil litigation attorney will evaluate your case, gather evidence, and offer you advice on how to best proceed with your case.
If you have been served with a civil lawsuit, then you need to contact a lawyer who will prioritize your best interest and provide you with important legal services. Similarly, if you have been wronged and left with physical injuries or financial damage, then you also need to reach out to a lawyer. The sooner you get in touch, the sooner you can get the help and legal counsel that you need.
To speak to a Tulsa civil litigation attorney with very high ethical standards, contact Palmer Law today.
Choosing the Best Attorney For Your Case in Tulsa, OK
Choosing a Tulsa civil litigation attorney can be a stressful, but important decision. Your choice of attorney can completely impact the outcome of your case, so you need to ensure you take your time and ask plenty of questions before hiring a civil litigation attorney.
When looking for an attorney, you should always schedule a free consultation with them if they offer one. During this consultation, you should ask them some questions. While it’s very important that they have the skill and knowledge needed to handle your case and secure the best possible outcome, these questions should reveal whether you’ll be able to build a strong and trusting relationship with their legal team and if they’ll listen to you and prioritize your needs.
When choosing your civil litigation attorney, you should take the following into consideration:
- Experience with similar cases – If our attorney already has experience in dealing with similar matters and laws, then they’ll be more likely to be able to meet your legal needs. All reputable attorneys will be happy to provide you with testimonials from clients they’ve helped who had cases similar to yours.
- An agreeable personality – Some cases can take many months, if not over a year, and you’ll be spending much of this time with your attorney. Therefore, it’s crucial that you get on with them and can trust them enough to share relevant, personal details with them.
- Reasonable legal fees – Your civil litigation attorney should be upfront and transparent with you about their fees. Some attorneys can be expensive, so it’s important that you are aware of the costs involved. Don’t let this deter you, though – there are many talented, reasonably priced attorneys.
- Communicating with your attorney – While it’s unlikely that any attorney will be available 24/7, they should still be able to get back to you in a timely manner. It should also be a warning to you if the attorney has a large caseload, as this will prevent them from being able to properly work on your case.
At Palmer Law Firm, we offer potential clients a free consultation. During this consultation, you’ll be able to ask as many questions as you want, and we’ll be more than happy to put your mind at ease.
Contact Our Tulsa, OK. Civil Litigation Attorneys Today
It is essential that you have the help of a legal team when pursuing or defending a civil litigation case. Your attorneys will thoroughly investigate the case, gather relevant evidence, and build a strong case on your behalf. Without their continuous help throughout the entire legal process, then it’s likely that you’ll struggle immensely to secure the outcome you want.
If you are looking for a talented, proficient Tulsa civil litigation attorney, then you should call Palmer Law. We want to help you.
Our team of excellent litigation attorneys has the experience and skill needed to help you with your legal issues and throughout the entire legal process. We will utilize the knowledge and resources that we possess to secure the best possible outcome for you. We know that this situation can be very trying, so we will ensure you understand and are kept up to date with every step of the process. We will do our best to negotiate a beneficial settlement for you outside of court, but we will be prepared and ready to go to trial on your behalf if necessary.
Not only is Palmer Law well-versed in civil litigation, but our team also has years of experience with state and federal courts and in family law matters, personal injury law, criminal defense law, and more, so no matter your situation, we will be able to help.
If you are facing legal issues, then contact us now. The sooner you do, the more time we’ll have to build a strong and solid case on your behalf. Schedule your free consultation today at 405-877-7112.